Post #4: Reflection on meeting 1

Our very first meeting was efficient and objective! All of us, Paul, Zhen Yong, Nivetha and I, were punctual and prepared for the meeting. We already had a rough idea of the contents that we were going to discuss during the meeting as the agenda was planned beforehand. The prior brief discussion before the first meeting also helped us to prepare for the necessary equipments we needed for the recording of the video. I feel that the preparations we did enabled us to proceed with the meeting smoothly and efficiently.

During the discussion, we were objective and our discussion barely strayed from the main topic. As Paul led the discussion, all of us were focused on following the agenda closely and making the meeting as efficient as possible. At various points of time, we contributed and suggested different ideas for the project comfortably. I also realised that we would pay attention to whoever was speaking as well as contribute ideas appropriately.

However, there is always room for improvement. On an individual level, I saw myself raising questions as another person was speaking. I realised that it disrupted whatever that he/she was saying. I should have noted down my doubt and waited till the person finished saying what he had to say before I raised any question for clarification. It certainly did not allow me to listen actively as my mind was busy questioning the doubts as I listened to the speaker. On a whole, I thought that the video could be improved. When watching it, I found it quite disturbing that the laptops were blocking the view and the hand gestures of Paul, Zhen Yong and Nivetha could not be seen clearly. Hence, I feel that it would have been much better if we used a video recording camera which is placed at an angle that could capture all of us instead.

1 comments: (+add yours?)

Khai said...

Hello Win Yen,

I am glad to hear of your positive assessment of your first CG1102 meeting. Such a glowing review would not have been possible if not for a clearly thought-out agenda, effective team leader and committed members.

Just like me, you have discovered the elusive and potent powers wrought upon by the rather nondescript agenda. The agenda is comparable to the backbone of the entire meeting. If there was not an itemized way of going about with the meeting, some points would have been missed out and the likelihood of going off topic would be significantly higher.

However, I disagree with your take on disrupting team members when he is speaking as I believe it will affect the natural progression of a given idea. Alright, I do admit that the word “disrupt” already connotes a negative image. However, let me propose to you a term I personally affirm by which is “constructive disruption”. In fact, you mentioned that you could not actively listen to the speaker as your mind was busy questioning the doubts you had. This should already signal the rather, paradoxically speaking, disruptive nature of not disrupting your team mate. I admit that the previous statement sounds like a convoluted tongue twister but if you clearly analyze it, you would understand the point I am trying to put across.

Honestly, you should view disrupting your team mates as a means of making a more cogent and iron-clad elaboration of the given idea. The various doubts and inputs from different perspectives would transform the rather simple and unadulterated idea to become one which is magnificent and robust.

Best Regards,
Khairul

Post a Comment